Sunday, January 11, 2015

Folk Art Home Decorating Ideas

One of my clients really likes  folk art home accents and at first I was not too sure if this style would appeal to home but when the decorating was all said and done I really liked the ambiance of the room.

"Folk art reflects traditional art forms of diverse community groups — ethnic, tribal, religious, occupational, geographical, age- or gender-based — who identify with each other and society at large Folk artists traditionally learn skills and techniques through apprenticeships in informal community settings, though they may also be formally educated." Quote from Wikipedia 

When it comes to finding these folk art or handcrafted home accessories I think it is best to search for them at garage sales, antique store or county church bazaars. Sometimes you can find reproduction blankets, throw pillows posters online at places like zazzle, amazon or ebay and if you are on a budget a reproduction that has the look of folk art will make your home look appealing.

Here is a list that I use when shopping for folk art home accessories.  I like international and Americana folk art. I have found some nice Hungarian folk art pieces that will work with some Americana products it all depends on the style and the pattern.

Plaid or calico twin quilt for wall hanging
Folk art canvas painting or print
Folk art table runner

Handcrafted wood toys

Handcrafted from pine bench or side table

Handcrafted wood boxes 

Wood carved farm animal 

Handcrafted patchwork or calico print throw pillows

Handcrafted quilt for sofa throw, bed or wall hanging



If you want the look but handcrafted home accents are out of your budget you may find that these zazzle finds will meet your home decorating needs.

Here is a Polyvore folk art design set that I  created using the zazzle products bellow.  As you can see with a grouping of accessories with colors that are complimentary that you can mix and match and it looks good.  


Folk Art Home Accessories


I hope I have inspired you to decorate your home with folk art.  Here are a few of my zazzle finds.

Kitchen and Dining






Other Folk Art Home Accessories





No comments: