Friday, March 20, 2015

Decorating with Green and Gold Accessories


I was surprised to learn that many people think that gold is a gaudy color and other than using it at Christmas that they shy away from the color for home décor. I suppose gold could be gaudy specially if you decorate with ornate home accessories or accent furniture.

If you like the color green and shy away from the color yellow because of the brightness of the hue, then gold is a color that you may find to be complimentary to green

The other day I was talking to a friend who painted their homes trim a moss green and asked me about a color that would make the room more cheerful, I said gold and they gave me a funny look and then said they did not like the ornate gaudy gold.  

Ornate gold furniture can accent the room as long as you don't go overboard in your decorating. One piece as an accent is fine an entire room full or ornate filigree gold furniture and accessories can be over the top and unappealing.

As a general rule when it comes to decorating, stick with less is more and you should be okay when adding ornate gold accessories to your interiors.

Recently I designed a room set using the colors gold and green. The space that I created used the color green as the primary and the gold was the accent color. Know that this is not a light and airy room, when I look at it I think that it is rich and luxurious. A room where you would go to read a good book and then fall asleep on the sofa.

(This room does not fall into the less is more, it falls under more more more) 

The interior design of this green and gold space would be good for a formal living room, reading room or study. I do not think of this room as being a den as there would be too much foot traffic and this room to me should be a retreat where one would go to listen to music or as I said before read a book.

Here is the set that I designed at polyvore.com It will show you furniture placement, room theme colors and accessorized that are balanced tin color and texture so that they are eye appealing. The white lily print behind the sofa is my design and the gold linen like pillow are from my zazzle.com shop. The remaining room accents and furniture can be viewed or purchased at polyvore.


No comments: